Telefilm Canada has been collecting audience data since 2012 to determine the media consumption habits of Canadians. Produced in partnership with the Canada Media Fund, the main objectives of the 2017 edition of the Canadian audiences report are to:
- provide an overview of film and television consumption habits on a variety of screens and platforms;
- identify emerging trends in content; and
- assess the commitment to Canadian content and opportunities to connect with audiences.
The report is based on an online survey of 15-year-old and over Canadians conducted by Nielsen Media in May 2017. Here are some of the findings from the study:
- The viewing of movies, TV shows and documentaries is on the rise.
- The two market segments “Belonging” and “Curious,” which show the greatest interest in Canadian content and represent the greatest potential for the industry, are growing year-over-year.
- Netflix and YouTube are the top online viewing platforms.
- Web searches are the most important source of information.
- The majority of respondents believe it is important for the Canadian government to support the creation of distinctly Canadian productions.